Extinction Rebellion (XR) is an international movement that uses non-violent civil disobedience or Non-Violent Direct Action (NVDA) to achieve radical change in order to minimise the risk of human extinction and ecological collapse.
XR have three demands:
– Tell the truth: Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
– Act Now: Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
– Beyond Politics: Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
Opportunity to discuss:
– what democracy is,
– how democracy works and what to do when you think it doesn’t work,
– citizenship – what are our responsibilities as citizens
– what is a Citizens’ Assembly, does the school have one?
– compare the views of XR and politicians like Michael Gove – lots of videos available especially of politicians saying that they have heard XR and there is a way forwards to save the environment and continue economic growth!!